The fifth day of March of each year shall be designated as the Day of the Horse, to be observed throughout the State of Illinois as a day to encourage citizens to honor and celebrate the role of equines in the history and character of Illinois, and to recognize the benefits of the equine industry to the economy, agriculture, tourism and quality of life in Illinois.
Learn more about the Equestrian Community in McHenry County and how you can experience it for yourself!
For details on boariding, equestrian related businesses, history, heritage and more visit McHenryCountyEquestrian.com
Riding Trails -
McHenry County Conservation District offers over 40 miles of horseback riding trails at four different sites located throughout the county.
- Glacial Park - Richmond, IL - Trails within this park wind 4.78 miles through prairies, past savannas and restored wetlands, then cross the recently re-meandered Nippersink Creek
- Hickory Grove & Lyons - Cary, IL - The 3.24 mile trail begins and ends off of Hickory Nut Grove Lane and travels the endges of the 400+ acres winding through woodlands.
- Prairie Trail North - Ringwood/Richmond, IL - This trail is a 7/66 mile converted railroad bed - straight and flat - shared with hikers and bicyclists during the summer and closed during the winter for snow.
- Stickney Run - McHenry, IL - This 1.26 mile mowed grass trail allows neighborhood access for riding. The trail runs south of Wright Road and loops back around.
Learn more about Conservation District Trail HERE!
Visit Main Stay Therapeutic Farm in Richmond, IL and voluteer to help encourage, enrich and empower individuals through the therapeutic benefits of horses, animals and nature. Volunteer opportunities include;
Therapeutic Riding Program - Volunteers must be 13 years or older
- Groomers: Groom horses prior to classes - no experience necessary
- Side-Walkers: Walk alongside the riders and help add physical and emotional support to riders when necessary.
- Leaders: Lead the horse for the mounted rider. People with qualified horse experience are needed. All arena volunteers must be physically capable of walking on uneven terrain, and be able to walk for a minimum of 1 hour.
Project Volunteers - There is almost always something that needs attention or repair. Some of the areas Main Stay could use volunteers this way are:
- Building projects
- Barn maintenance
- Property maintenance
- Office work
- Administrative activities
Learn more about Main Stay Therapeutic Farm's volunteer opportunities HERE!
Soulful Prairies embodies a gentele energy that many have described as peace. The soil and space supports Linda and her team in the work she does with all that visit. Sharing the vibration of her land and all it has to offer with those who wander in through the front gates brings Linda a deep sense of gratitude. Visit Soulful Prairies and and take part in a feed your soul women's group, Soul Jam concert, harvest dinner, or plan your own retreat. This truly is a magical retreat located just outside of Woodstock. They are a sanctuary for native wildlife and a oaisis for horses to retire. It is a natural, comfortable environment with all of the amentities that horses need.
Learn more and visit for an upcoming event!
|Speed Show |
July 7, 2019
Spring Grove Horse Fair Park
Spring Grove, IL
Working Equitation Show
A Place to Start Hunter/Jumper Show
McHenry County Fair
NIHJA Hunter/Jumper Show
Il. Short Circuit Hunter/Jumper Show
English/Western Pleasure Show
A Place to Start Hunter/Jumper Show
McHenry County Barrel Bash
Fun & Action Show
McHenry County Conservation District's Day of the Horse
For more events visit McHenryCountyEquestrian.com