As Valentine's Day approaches we all start to think about how to spend this special day with our special someone! Whethere you're in town for a romantic getaway or you live near by here are a few ways to woo your sweetheart this Valentines Day!
Grab a bite to eat:
- Duke's Alehouse & Kitchen - Gourmet comfort foods, artisan sandwiches and burgers all utilizing local and sustainable ingredients. Pair them with Duke's extensive beer selection all served in an eco-conscious gastropub.
- 1776 Restaurant - 1776 Restaurant is proud to be known for using locally sourced and organically grown food products. Owner, Rhienna, is a Crystal Lake native with a passion for entertaining and fine dinning. She has created a menu that includes things like a trio of wild game medallions, Maryland Crab Cakes, vegetarian Wellington and a variety of fine wines, cocktails, beers and spirits.
- BOLD American Fare - Taste farm-to-plate freshness at BOLD American fare, all served in a new way. BOLD serves American fare but in a way you probably haven't seen before. Good lunch choosing from a menu with appetizer options like lobster pop tart or souther fried alligator tail with horseradish aioli. How about an entree of adult spaghetti-os pasta in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce with wagyu beef meatballs? Several entrees come with tots, but don't expect them to look like the kind you had in school. BOLD will surprise you.
Grab a drink:
- Rush Creek Distilling - Four locals were having a few at the local tavern. They’d been talking new venture. Something unexpected. Something seriously fun. It would be a distillery. Dedicated to craftsmanship, and genuine craft distilling. An asset to the community. The decision was made. The partners were all in. Make it right or don’t make it at all. They knew Rush Creek Distilling could raise the bar. It takes an adventurous spirit to make an adventurous spirit. STEP OUTSIDE.
- Scorched Earth Brewing - Made with locally sourced ingredients and old-world brewing techniques, this rugged, trendy brewery hopes to change the way you think about beer. Though they don't serve food in their taproom, they offer seating and encourage patrons to bring their own food, or simply have it delivered. Check their online calendar for food trucks that make a stop at the brewery.
- Crystal Lake Brewing - Crystal Lake Brewing says they make beer that is easy to drink and hard to put down, and descibe their brew as "approachable, yet distinctive craft beer" - we'll drink to that! With as as many as 12 different offerings on tap, you will find something you'll love. It's a BYOF (Bring Your Own Food) place, and you're encouraged to bring your own or have a pizza or other food delivered right to your table.
Stop for some Sweets:
- Ethereal Confections - From the moment you see the ornate, historic storefront, you know something unexpected is within. When you open the front door, you'll step into a world that would make Willy Wonka gasp. This isn't just a chocolate shop. This is a culinary experience. Their menu offers bean-to-bark chocolates, handcrafted truffles, chocolates expertly paired with spirits and unique coffee and tea delights. A variety of soups and quiches and paninis round out the menu, and there are plenty of gluten-free pastries and desserts - all, of course, made in-house. You will need many visits to try all the intriguing possibilities.
- Julie Anns Frozen Custard -This family-owned custard shop is a McHenry County institution. Back in 1985 John and Mary Zielnicki started creating their hand-crafted custard recipe that is still used today! The flavors have taken on a creative twist since their daughter and grandson took over the business. You can now find flavors like nutty elephant, peanut butter puppy chow and worms 'n dirt on their everyday menu but make sure to check their flavor of the day for something out of the ordinary. Their flavors of the day and monthly specials incorporate ingredients that can be found all over McHenry County, such as apples from Cody's Farm and chocolate from Ethereal Confections. Julie Ann's Frozen Custard knows how to make delectable treats that bring the community together!
- Morkes Chocolates -Morkes is no corner candy shop; they're bona fide chocolatiers and doughnut makers. They prepare all their chocolate delights from scratch, right down to the creme fillings.